Napoli – Sassuolo | Early Look

Home Forums Napoli Football Forum Napoli – Sassuolo | Early Look

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Richard Richard 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gennaro Episcopo
    Gennaro Episcopo
    Keymaster

Napoli will host Sassuolo on Sunday as the Azzurri look to continue the run of good form that has lifted them to first place in the Serie A. Sassuolo currently sit in 15th place on 8 points but last year were able to snatch 2 draws in their matches against the Partenopei so there is no reason to underestimate this match. Already 40,000 tickets have been sold as the team’s league position has supporters dreaming great things. Many will see this match as an opportunity to rest a bunch of players but if there is one thing we’ve learned about Sarri so far this year, it’s that he is unlikely to make widespread changes to his formation match to match, at least not in the Serie A or Champions League. Here is my predicted starting 11 below:

Reina, Maggio, Albiol, Koulibaly, Ghoulam, Allan, Jorginho, Hamsik, Callejon, Mertens, Insigne

From our ‘typical’ starting 11, the only difference is perhaps Hysaj getting a break to allow Maggio some playing time. In midfield I see Jorginho and Allan returning to the starting formation while his trusted 3 lead the front line. It’s difficult for me to imagine players like Koulibaly, Hamsik, Insigne, Callejon, Mertens (and perhaps Ghoulam is in this group as well) getting an opportunity to rest barring Sarri having his hand forced by suspension or injury. While it is more understandable for a young center back like Koulibaly to play close to every match, it remains to be seen if some of the players in the more physically taxing positions hold up throughout the year.

What are your thoughts for the match? Who do you think Sarri will choose to start and who would you choose in his position?

Profile photo of Joseph m
    Joseph m
    Participant

I would hVe to agree with your idea or principle. I can’t imagine sarri sitting most of the starting eleven. However, I sound like to say and I have been saying all year, I would not be surprised if we see the likes of ounas starting in a game like this on either the wing or even striker position, in addition, how well diawara played in the regista role last game, one would have to agree he would start again and maybe give Hamsik a full games rest. Either way I’m excited Nd hope we get the win. Sempre

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Need to give Mertens a rest. But then I am not sure who can play striker. I dont even remember who is our backup striker since Milik is still out. Ounas and Giak for Insigne and Callejon? Maksi for K2. Maggio for Hysaj.

But this lineup is only workable if Sassuolo really suck. We can’t afford to give up our lead at top of the table.

Profile photo of ForzaNapoli
    ForzaNapoli
    Participant

With Ghollum not renewing our transfer window can now be criticized.

Gennaro Episcopo
    Keymaster

Ounas in Mertens’ role is an interesting idea. I just don’t think Sarri is up for that type of experimentation in such a critical season but I think the kid could have potential there. As good as Ounas has been, he’s also lost balls at dangerous positions on the field which have lead to some counters for the opposition. I’m sure that infuriates Sarri so I’m not sure he really trusts him enough to start him yet in Callejon or Insigne’s position.

Gennaro Episcopo
    Keymaster

Official formations:

Napoli (4-3-3): Reina; Maggio, Albiol, Chiriches, Ghoulam; Allan, Jorginho, Hamsik; Callejon, Mertens, Insigne

Sassuolo (4-3-3): Consigli; Gazzola, Cannavaro, Acerbi, Peluso; Mazzitelli, Sensi, Cassata; Politano, Falcinelli, Ragusa 

As predicted Maggio gets the start for Hysaj. Interesting to see Sarri give Koulibaly a rest and hand Chiriches the start. The Romanian definitely deserves praise for the amount of faith he has earned from Sarri.

Gennaro Episcopo
    Keymaster

Here are some live updates via twitter:

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Crappy performance so far.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I must be spoiled. Strangely, I am no longer excited over a 3-1 scoreline versus a bottom half team. We dominated possession 75/25 and should have scored a few more goals. Anyway, 3 points in the bag and back to the top of the table.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.